최용진집사.jpg
최용진 집사
[글로벌 메시아 여성 합창단]

In the last couple of weeks, I’ve been asked to set up a modest recording studio here. 

There were already some things in place, including microphones, computers, and a quiet environment in which to record. 

A quiet environment is important when you’re recording, as a microphone is much more sensitive to background noise than the human ears are.  To be honest, I’ve only done some voiceover recording in the past.

However, I’ve done enough of them to know that one of the most critical things for success is that quiet space, where everything begins. 

Likewise, it is much easier to record in a quiet place than having to trying to edit out the background noise.

It is amazing how our lives tend to be filled with background noise.

At home or the office, you may not notice the dozens of helicopters flying overhead, the busy traffic buzzing by, or the various conversations about nothing here and there. 

This is amplified by several factors when you include the always on connection of our smartphones. 
From the latest activities of your friends on Facebook to the cat videos on YouTube and Twitter, the things that are being shared are endless. 

This is amped up even more when you get into the whole blogosphere, commenting, and the like. 
It’s quite a bit of background noise.  

But it is also amazing how we can “adapt” to the ever increasing background noise. 
So, after a while, you get used to the noise and move on. 

Until, that is, you have the chance to focus and record what you’re doing.

The first time I put on a headphone to monitor someone’s voice work, the amount of background noise was deafening. 

With that microphone in place, I could swear I was listening to a conversation from a different room. 
The small noises that I ignored, the hum of the air conditioning unit to various mechanical clicks and clacks, I heard it all. 
It was deafening. 
After that revelatory experience, I realized just how important a quiet environment, or lacking that, a quiet time, is to recording.

Getting away from the loud noises, the constant background hums, the helicopter flights, is important. 
If nothing else, to hear the quiet voice of God and the Holy Spirit that beckons us, but can’t hear as it gets drowned out by the conversation about nothing, the helicopter covering that latest high speed chase, and what not. 

Do remember that Elijah heard the voice of God not in the whirlwind or the earthquake, but in the ensuing silence that followed.

I think it’s utterly important that we take the time to get away to a quiet place, that secret place where you can disconnect and listen. 

A refuge  from the storm of social media, the noise that seems to never stop.
Then that quiet, still voice that beckons will be heard.  Who knows what that voice may say?

최용진칼럼.jpg

▲ Caption: many recording booths employ various acoustic treatment to minimize background noise during recording sessions

특집기사보기