메제시카-01.jpg

Jessica Son <OCYC 합창단원>

I can still taste that humid night back in 2001 when my parents took me to see Opera California Youth Choir.
Though I was only six, I instantly knew that I wanted to be the one on stage, singing and dancing. After hours of pleading my parents, they finally let me join.
Starting out, I was the youngest member in choir.
I remember looking up to the juniors and seniors, and wishing I could be as old as they.
I remember flapping my arms excitedly in the air as my friend and I would attempt to imitate our conductor. 

메제시카-02.jpg

I remember memorizing all the words from the tapes passed out before we even learned the songs. In the car, at school, at home-I would constantly be singing. Twelve years of performing at Wilshire Ebell Theatre, practicing dance moves, perfecting vocal runs, memorizing dialogue lines, competing between friends for solos, praising God, learning life lessons, and serving the community later, I had finally realized my long held dream of becoming the conductor.
OCYC is not just a choir; it is a part of me.
We have spent so much time together that we have practically forgotten what life used to be like without choir.
OCYC taught me how to sing and dance, yes, but it also taught me leadership, patience, teamwork, and most importantly, love.
Through our connection of our love of music and our faith, we created a bond like no other as we grew as a choir, a community, and a family.

특집기사보기